West 104th Street Garden

August 29, 2013

Workday Meeting Minutes for August 14, 2013

Filed under: Meeting Notes — by west104garden @ 3:05 pm
Tags: ,

August 14 Workday Minutes – Taken by Ann Levine

David Kaplan called the meeting to order–after an early hour of peach picking.

Announcements

The Columbus-Amsterdam BID is holding a Street Fair on Sundays Sept. 8 and 15, on Amsterdam between 106 and 110 Streets, from 12 to 4. The Garden would like to reserve a table, but we need both volunteers to man the booth and ideas for display projects.
The July 14 Flea Market brought in $590! Special thanks to Julia, Christine, and Jesus. The next flea market has been rescheduled for Saturday, October 5. Donations and volunteers requested.

From the members

Ideas for street fair: Supplies for children to draw their ideal garden; bake sale.

We’re in mosquito season. Water barrels must be covered at all times. Watering cans should be emptied and turned upside down after use.

Members must NOT give the lock combinations to non-members for any reason.

Fence in the southeastern corner of the East garden has collapsed. Must be repaired.

Tasks completed

Members cut down a volunteer tree just outside the fence in the East Garden; bagged mulch for future use (though much remains in the pile); sanded the floor of the gazebo, in preparation for painting; and weeded.

Revised Garden Workday Minutes for May 12, 2012

Filed under: Meeting Notes — by west104garden @ 12:27 pm
Tags: ,

Dear Garden Members,
 
It is our sincerest intention to provide the most accurate minutes possible, but misquotes and other errors are likely to happen.  We are sure you can all appreciate how difficult it is to follow a fast paced, multi speaker and at times, highly charged meeting and simultaneously take notes.
 
Please accept this revised copy of the most recent work day minutes.
 
We hope you find them informative.
 
 
Best Regards,
West 104 Garden Steering Committee

West 104th St Community Garden.
Monthly Meeting Saturday 5/12/12
 
Minutes
 
Meeting started at 10:21 am
 
1) ART WORK in the garden
 
SC: Morse code – current art installation
Vote: To be kept, or to be removed?
Remove: 9 votes
Keep: 9 votes
 
Opinions:
Jean: Said that in 2011 the garden voted the art to be kept as a permanent installation.
Ann: Proposed it to be revisited.
 
Flamingo Parade – installation on east building wall of the East Garden.
Concern about the vine. Was the art going to cover it? Was it going to affect its growth?
SC: Proposed an online vote for approval of graphic.
Garden Members approved suggestion.
On-line vote to be sent with picture attached and more details about the art size and way of attachment.
 
Vote: If it is to be a temporary installation, will the garden agree to host it?
Yes: 23 votes
No: 3 votes
 
Opinions:
Mary K: Said that the art installation was accepted in 2011 as a temporary piece. However, it remained unclear if every member had seen the graphic previous to that approval.
SC: Even if garden votes to allow the installation, the building owner/management has not agreed (or not) to the installation and the final decision will remain with them.
 
 
2) Request for a volunteer to be chairman for the Special Event committee.
Nobody volunteered.
Current members of the committee will select somebody among themselves.
 
 
3) Proposal from SC: Installation/extension of a fence at the back of the east wall end on the West Garden.
Reason: To prevent tenants from building in the middle to use garden as their private backyard.
 
Vote: whether to install new fence or not?
Yes: 2 votes
No: 18 votes
 
 
Opinions:
Walli: Concerned about spending money. Expressed concerns about financial status of garden.
Lou: Added that screws were methodically removed from existing gate that grant access to East Garden.
SC: Could we have somebody from the garden contact the building’s owner?
 
 
4) Replacement of crumbling brick path in front of east wall communal bed in East Garden.
Vote: bricks on path
Remove during work day (5/12/12): 7 votes
“Clean up” only during work day: 16 votes
 
Vote: brick path
Replace with another hard scape material: 14 votes
Replace with sod: 5 votes
Clean up: 6 votes
 
Extra: Dinorah and Paul to have a final proposal of materials for the meeting to be held in June.
 
Opinions:
Jean: Bricks to be removed once we have a plan in place.
Nikki: Encouraged plan of brick removal to be done on Saturday May 12th because it is a chore that has to be addressed by all members.
Susan Bernofsky: Offered to write grants if Walli will also join her on the task. Walli declined.
 
 
5) SC announced decision to not increase membership fee. Current: $20.00
 
 
6) Announcement of MMNY – Make Music New York, Thursday June 21st event.
 
 
7) Gazebo
Frank to begin work the week of June 21st.
 
Opinions:
Jean: to meet with new carpenter to assess scope of work to be done. Meeting to occur not later than Tuesday, May 15th, 2012.
Question to be asked: “What is duration of job?”
Mary K: pointed out that last year, garden members had decided to forgo
putting any gutters on the gazebo for rainwater gathering; and that the garden
tried to give the barrels and other water collection materials away.
 
 
8) Fire Hydrant.
Should all members call 311?
It was reiterated water should be used moderately due to lack of water access and plenty of rain. Tank in West Garden is full. It will provide enough water to irrigate plants on both sides.
 
 
9) Lids for water barrels.
Request for new flat lids that don’t hold water to discourage mosquito breeding.
 
Jean suggested drilling a small hole in the middle to drain accumulated water into barrel.
Garden approved suggestion. Experiment to be applied.
 
Concern: Wouldn’t this hole encourage mosquito breeding?
Jean thought small hole size might not encourage breeding.
Answer not completely satisfactory.
 
 
10) Removal of plants in communal beds. Main issue: East Garden removal of butterfly bushes and smoke bush.
 
Kim requested clearer rules regarding communal bed management to avoid future misunderstanding.
Mary K explained that each person in charge of a communal bed has the liberty to rearrange plants (add or remove) on their own behalf.
SC agreed with this remark.
 
SC representative (Kate) suggested:
a) Email or note has to be sent to all members in the garden before (NOT AFTER) removing any plant of considerable importance, size, aesthetic qualities, or sentiment attached to another member. This step aims to give enough time to the community to ponder the possibility of using the planting material.
 
b) Rules for Communal beds should be written down from now on, and be posted somewhere where people can refer to. It could be in the website or a copy posted inside the sheds.
 
 
11) Ants on peach tree.
Suggestion: Use of ant traps or mix potions suggested by Jean.
 

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.